FAQs - Learner Driver

Frequently Asked Questions:

These FAQs cover Learner Driver car insurance policies which were purchased from Zenith Insurance.

If the FAQs below do not answer your questions please do not hesitate to contact our customer service advisors and they will be more than happy to help you. Call us on 0800 783 5977 or email us on contact@zenith-insure.com

How does it work?

The Learner Driver insurance policy is designed to sit alongside the existing motor policy of the car you'll be driving and provides fully comprehensive cover while you're learning to drive in that car. If a claim needs to be made while you're driving, it will be made on your own policy and won't affect the No Claims Bonus of the car owner (which we're sure they'll be very happy to hear).

The owner of the car is worried about how it will affect their policy? Is it dual insurance?

It won’t affect the main driver’s insurance at all! Zenith Insurance Learner Driver car insurance is a temporary risk policy on the learner driver. Here is the technical bit… Dual Insurance is when, in the case of insurance against damage or loss, the same items are insured against a certain risk under more than one insurance policy. Cover is only provided under the Zenith Insurance Learner Driver Insurance scheme for drivers who hold a provisional UK licence and are not named in the main insurance policy covering the vehicle and therefore it does not cover the same risk as the main policy.

What type of cars can be covered by Zenith Insurance Learner Driver car insurance?

Zenith Insurance will cover most cars as long as they're in insurance group 32 or less and have a current market value of less than £30,000.

Can I drive any car?

The Learner Driver policy only covers you for driving the car you took your insurance policy out for. If you would like to be insured on another car you can always take out another policy for that car. You can also change the car on your policy partway through your insurance cover for a small administration charge of £10.

Who can supervise my driving?

Any driver who is aged 25 years or older, who holds a current valid full UK driving licence, and has done so for at least three years, can supervise you. It doesn't even need to be the person who owns the car you’re insured on.

Can more than one learner driver be insured on the same car?

The Learner Driver policy only covers you as the named driver, but each driver can have their own policy and practise in the same car.

Can I change the car I am insured to drive on?

Yes, you can change the car you are insured to drive in, provided it meets the criteria of our policy. There is a £10 administration fee to make a change mid-way through your policy.

How much does a Learner Driver car insurance policy cost?

The cost depends on the length of policy you choose (30, 60 or 90 days), where you live and your age. To find out in seconds enter your postcode and age by clicking here

If I own my own car will I be insured?

No, not with the Learner Driver policy. The policy is designed to sit alongside an existing motor policy of a car owned by someone else.

How much is the excess if I need to make a claim?

If there is an accident, or the car I stolen, or has a fire or is stolen whilst you're driving, you'll need to pay the first £250 towards any claim.

If I no longer need my policy can I change my mind?

There is a 14 day “cooling off” period for Learner Driver insurance policies over 30 days. If you cancel within 14 days we will refund the days left on the policy, minus a £10 administration fee. After the 14 day "cooling off" period, we can only offer a refund if you have 30 or 60 days left to run on your policy. If that happens, we will refund your premium, first deducting a charge for the cover provided from the beginning of the contract until the policy is cancelled, plus a £10 administration fee. If your policy is for 7 or 14 days, there is no cooling period due to the short term nature of the policy.

Am I covered to take my driving test in the car I’m insured on?

Yes, you are covered to take your driving test in the car. Make sure you print off your insurance certificate and take it with you. We would advise you contact the test centre prior to your test day in case there are additional requirements for taking the test in your own car. As the cover is Learner Driver insurance it will cease when you pass your test, so make sure you have someone to drive you home from the test!

What happens when I pass my driving test?

Cover will stop immediately when you pass your driving test, so make sure you have someone to drive you home! When you pass your driving test contact us to let us know the good news and we will refund any full 30 days’ worth of cover you have left on your policy for a small administration fee of £10. Unfortunately we cannot refund any incomplete 30 days cover you have left when you pass your driving test.

Who provides the Learner Driver insurance cover?

Our Learner Driver insurance policy is provided by Marmalade and administered by Zenith Marque Insurance Services Limited. Zenith Marque Insurance Services Limited specialise in motor insurance focusing on private car, light commercial motor insurance and motorcycle.

What is IPT?

IPT stands for Insurance Premium Tax. This is a tax which must be added to all General Insurance premiums in the UK. All insurance quotes on our website are inclusive of IPT at the current rate set by the Government, which is currently 10%.


Easy access to our online Self Service Centre providing all the information you need at your fingertips.



Experienced advisors are here to provide emergency help day or night.



Keeping the cost of insurance down through cutting-edge counter fraud systems.