Frequently Asked Questions:

These FAQs cover Car Insurance policies which were purchased and arranged directly from Zenith Insurance. If you purchased your policy through a broker you will need to contact them directly with any queries, as these FAQs may not be relevant to your policy.

If the FAQs below do not answer your questions please do not hesitate to contact our customer service representative and they will be more than happy to help you.

Online Account

How do I register for my online account?

As soon as you have purchased your policy an email will be sent with a link to register your online account.

If you buy your policy over the phone you will have the opportunity to register at the end of the call.

What changes can I make using my online account?

If you are not sure or would prefer to speak to someone then an experienced Customer Service Representative will be pleased to make the change for you over the phone.

How long does it take for my documents to be available?

Your online account is usually updated fairly quickly but sometimes it can take up to 24 hours.

If your documents are not available within 24 hours please call Customer Services so they can sort this out for you.

What if I have a problem with my online account?

Firstly check you have Adobe Reader Software installed on your computer. If you still have problems an experienced Customer Service Representative will be pleased to help you over the phone.


How do I get my policy documents?

You can view and print your policy documents online by logging into your secure online account. Alternatively, a Customer Services Representative will be pleased to post these to you on request.

How do I print my documents online?

Once you have registered for your online account you will be asked to log in and be presented with a list of options which will take you to your documents.

What is the quickest way to get my documents?

You can view and print your documents anytime by logging into your online account.

How long do you take to post my documents?

If you require documents to be posted please ask Customer Services who will arrange for the documents to be dispatched the following day by 2nd class post, and should arrive within 7 working days.

Can I view the policy cover before I buy?

A sample policy wording is available online which sets out the full policy cover and all terms and conditions.

What optional extras are available?

For details on all of our additional products please see our optional extras page.


How do I notify a claim?

The Claims Helpline is available 24/7 and the most important thing is to call as soon as possible to get your claim moving straight away. Don’t worry, if some information is missing you can always provide that later.

What information will I need when notifying a claim?

A Claims Representative will run through what happened and it would be helpful to have the following to hand:

  • Your policy number
  • Details of the incident
  • Description of damage to your car or any other vehicle involved
  • Whether the car(s) is drivable
  • The current location of your car
  • Details of any other person(s) including passengers involved
  • Details of any injuries to you or any other persons
  • If the police were involved and any crime reference number
  • Details of any witnesses

If you don’t have all of the above still call as soon as possible and you can provide any remaining information later.

What happens after my claim is notified?

Once you have provided all the information about the claim:

  • Your policy will be looked at to validate the claim
  • Any excess you’ll have to pay will be confirmed
  • Your car will be booked into one of our Approved Repairers
  • Once at our Approved Repairer they will assess the damage, there is no need for estimates as they will sort everything. As soon as repairs are authorised work can begin.
  • The insurer of any other vehicle involved will be identified and contacted on your behalf.
  • If you have Motor Legal Protection cover and you are not at fault a solicitor will be appointed to help you recover any losses that are not insured by your car policy e.g. your excess, out of pocket expenses etc. To find out more about our Motor Legal Protection cover click here.

What if I need to talk to someone about my claim?

Once your claim is notified a claims representative will be appointed and their contact details will be included in the claims notification documents sent to you. It’s not a problem if you don’t have this to hand; click here to access the existing claims helpline.

If the claim is not my fault, how can I recover my costs?

If you purchased our Motor Legal Protection cover a solicitor will be appointed to help you recover any losses that are not insured by your car policy e.g. your excess, out of pocket expenses etc.

To find out more about our Motor Legal Protection cover click here.

What happens if my car is a write off?

If your car is beyond economical repair a team of engineers will calculate a valuation using the latest motor trade guides and make you an offer.

  • For any claim that was your fault, you will be liable to pay any balance due on your full annual premium (including any fees).
  • Payment of a total loss claim will be made by cheque once you have accepted the offer.

What happens if my car is stolen?

After you have reported the theft to the Police make sure you obtain a crime reference number. The next stage is to get in touch as soon as possible by calling the Claims Helpline.

A claims representative will take the basic details along with your crime reference number and your claim will then be handled by a specialist claims representative who will arrange a convenient time to discuss your claim in more detail.

Will I get a courtesy car?

Keeping you on the road is our priority and assuming you have comprehensive cover and use our Approved Repairer they will provide a courtesy car free of charge (subject to availability).

Alternatively, if you have purchased Guaranteed Replacement Car cover you will be entitled to a hire car whilst your vehicle is being repaired. Either the options can be discussed when you call to report your claim. To find out more about Guaranteed Replacement Car Cover click here.

Will my No Claims Discount be affected if I make a windscreen claim?

Windscreen and window glass claims do not affect your No Claims Discount.

How do I pay my excess?

The excess is the total amount you are responsible for paying towards damage to your car and will be payable to the repairer on collection.

The excess amount payable by you is detailed on your Policy Schedule. You can view and print your policy documents online by logging into your secure online account.


When will I receive my renewal invitation?

Details of your policy renewal will be despatched at least 21 days before your renewal date. If you would like to call to discuss your policy please contact the Renewal Helpline.

How do I renew my policy?

Your renewal invitation will explain whether you need to take any action to renew your cover as this will depend whether your policy:

  • was set up to automatically renew, in which case you don’t need to take any action.
  • requires you to accept our renewal terms which can be done by calling the Renewal Helpline.

If you have any queries relating to your renewal please call the Renewal Helpline and a Customer Service Representative will be happy to help.


How do I cancel my policy?

You can cancel your policy anytime by calling Customer Services but you should be aware in most cases this will be subject to a cancellation charge.

Will I get a refund if my policy is cancelled?

Whether a refund is allowable under our policy will depend on whether:

  • any claim has been made under the policy, and,
  • there is any outstanding premium due to us for the cover that has been provided, and,
  • there is any remaining balance after application of any cancellation charge.

A Customer Services Representative will confirm any amount to you after processing the cancellation.

What if I change my mind after buying my policy?

You have a 14 day ‘cooling off period’ when buying a policy which means you have two weeks from the start date of the policy to change your mind. If you decide to cancel the policy, provided there have been no claims under the policy a refund will be calculated taking account of:

  • a charge for the period for which we have provided cover
  • an early cancellation charge (which is lower than the normal cancellation charge)

Is there a cancellation fee?

A charge is made if you cancel your policy and the amount will depend on how long the policy has been in force.


How do I amend my policy?

Most changes to your policy can be done online by logging into your online account. Alternatively you can call to speak a Customer Services Representative who will make any changes for you.

Is there any charge to amend my policy?

Changing your policy is usually subject to an administration fee.

How many drivers can I have on my policy?

You can insure up to three named drivers on your policy in addition to yourself.

Can I make temporary changes to my policy?

Some temporary changes are possible and for more details please contact Customer Services.

No Claims Discount

What is No Claims Discount?

For every year that you are claim free under your policy, you will earn a year’s No Claims Discount which will be applied to your renewal premium.

As the discount varies from insurer to insurer your No Claims Discount is referred to as how many claim free years you have which can then be translated into the individual insurers discount scale.

Can I use my No Claims Discount from my previous insurer?

Your No Claims Discount is portable from another insurer subject to them confirming the number of claim free years you have earned.

What proof of No Claims Discount do I need to provide?

Your no claims discount can be checked on industry databases but if your records can not be accessed you will be asked to provide either of the following showing the number of claim free years you are entitled to:

  • A renewal invitation from your previous insurer stating the expiry date of the policy — to see an example click here.
  • A No Claims Discount letter from your previous insurer confirming the expiry or cancellation date of the policy — to see an example click here.

Shortly after taking the policy out you will be contacted to advise whether you need to provide the above, this must be received within 28 days. For details of where to send your proof of no claims discount please see your policy documents, which can be found in your secure online account.

If you are having any trouble sending this to us please call a Customer Service Representative straight away so they can help.

How long is No Claims Discount valid for?

As long as you use your No Claims Discount on a policy within two years of the previous policy expiring or being cancelled this will still be valid.

Can I use my No Claims Discount on a second car?

Your No Claims Discount can only be used on one car at a time. If you have more than one car you will need to build up your No Claims Discount on both separately.

Can I use No Claims Discount earned outside the UK?

We can only accept No Claims Discount that you have earned whilst driving in the UK.

What is Named Driver No Claims Discount?

Although No Claims Discount is only earned by you as the policyholder we also allow your named drivers to earn their own No Claims Discount for every full year they are claim free under your policy. They can then use this as a starter No Claims Discount when taking out their own policy with us.

Can I use Named Driver No Claims Discount from another insurer?

We do not accept named driver No Claims Discount earned with another insurer.

What can I do if I have been insured under a company policy?

Whist you will not officially have earned any No Claims Discount under a company policy (e.g. company car), we will accept a letter from your employer confirming how many years you have been insured claim free, as proof of No Claims Discount. To see an example letter please click here.


What should I do if I can’t make a payment?

If you are unable to make a payment for any reason, please contact Customer Services immediately.

What is a Fixed Sum Loan Agreement?

If you chose to pay monthly, you will be sent a Fixed Sum Loan Agreement (required under the Consumer Credit Act 1974) which is a loan contract that must be signed by you which is a legally binding agreement for you to pay the monthly premiums.

For details of where to return your Fixed Sum Loan Agreement please see your policy documents, which can be found in your secure online account.

If you are having any trouble sending this to us please call Customer Services straight away so they can help.


Can I use my car abroad?

Your policy automatically covers you to travel to countries in the European Union for a period of up to 30 days.

If you will be taking your car outside the UK for a period of more than 60 consecutive days, or you are intending to use your car outside of the European Union, please call Customer Services Team.

How do I make a complaint?

At Zenith Insurance we are committed to delivering a first class level of service to all customers. However, we accept that things can occasionally go wrong and should you feel that you need to make a complaint, in the first instance please call Complaints Team and they will do everything possible to make sure your complaint is dealt with quickly and fairly.

Alternatively you can email

When you get in touch you will need to provide:

  • Your policy number and/or claim number
  • An outline of your complaint
  • A contact telephone number

Every effort will be made to resolve your complaint straight away. If this is not possible, or further investigation is required you can expect the following:

  • Acknowledgement of your complaint in writing within 5 business days of receipt. This will state who is handling your complaint.
  • The aim is to resolve your complaint within 4 weeks of receipt, by sending you a final response letter. However, if we are unable to resolve your complaint within this time period, you will be advised of progress.
  • The goal is to ensure that you receive a final response within 8 weeks of receipt of your complaint. If we are still unable to provide you with a final response at this satage, we will write to you explaining why, and advise you when you can expect a final response.

If you are dissatisfied with the way your complaint has been handled, you can use the Online Dispute Resolution Platform (ODR) to submit your complaint for an independent assessment.

For more information on our Complaints Handling Procedure please click here

If I am unhappy can I refer my complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service?

You may initially go directly to the Financial Ombudsman Service with your complaint, but the Ombudsman will only review your complaint at this stage with our consent. However, we are still required to follow to procedure as stated under 'How do I make a complaint?'

If you are unhappy with the decision made, or if you have not received a final response within 8 weeks, you may refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). Please note that if you wish to refer your complaint to the FOS this must be done within 6 months of the final response letter. You may only refer to the Financial Ombudsman Service beyond this time limit if we have provided our consent.

Financial Ombudsman Service
Exchange Tower
E14 9SR

0800 023 4567

*calls to this number are free


The Financial Ombudsman Service will consider your complaint totally impartially and we are bound by their decision.


Easy access to our online Self Service Centre providing all the information you need at your fingertips.



Experienced advisors are here to provide emergency help day or night.



Keeping the cost of insurance down through cutting-edge counter fraud systems.